Sunday, January 30, 2011

Music Makes Me Smile!

So I absolutely LOVE music. I love to turn on the radio and hear a song that just makes me smile. It is so amazing to me that one song can completely change my mood. I love ALL kinds of music. Country, Southern Rock, Hard Rock, Pop, Jazz, R&B, and a little bit of Rap. Rap is definitely my least favorite, I hate all the yelling and cussing, but I do like Eminem's most recent album. Lyrics mean so much to me. I find myself in so many different songs and just listening to all of the different words brings up so many emotions, memories, and experiences. I have found a lot of times that I can't describe how I feel about a particular situation, but I can always find what I am looking for in a song.


Two songs that really really brighten my day and my mood are Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland and Smile by Uncle Kracker. The radio tends to play songs to much sometimes, so I try not to listen to one station all the time so I will avoid hating songs that I like. I didn't post the video above for Stuck Like Glue because it is horrible! I saw it and it changed the entire context of the song for me! I HATE that!

Music also helped me through a hard time in my life. I remember being in Rehab and we had a fabulous guest speaker. When you are in there you are not exposed to TV, Music, the Computer, etc. so that you can focus on your recovery. After this speaker was finished he played Kenny Chesney's That's Why I'm here. I was blindsided by the song and how it made me feel. I had heard the song a million times and never listened to the words. I found so many emotions and feelings in this song and could immediately relate. I realized that while in my active addiction I had lost my relationship with music and that was HUGE for me. As I accumulated more clean time and my brain began functioning more I was drawn to music like never before. Music helped my sanity come back and I LOVED it.



So music became a huge part of my recovery. When I had the rare opportunity to listen to music in Rehab it was always earth shattering to me and I soaked up the words and feelings it brought to mind. I was reminded of all this while I was driving this morning and decided I somehow need to list all of these songs so i can reference them if I am in a bad place again. This might sound crazy to you, but I just wanted to share a tool that has helped me so much. I will leave you with our closing song from Rehab. We always sang this when someone was ready to leave and go back to the real world. I get tears in my eyes every time I hear it.


I'm Movin On by Rascal Flatts. I will have TONS more posts about music and special songs I am sure.

Do you connect with music this way too? What songs inspire you or make you happy?

xoxo
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making me smile!!! Your comments always do!!! xoxo, Sara