Saturday, May 14, 2011

College Prepster Bookclub


I was so excited that Carly at College Prepster started a bloggy book club! The first BBC I joined fizzled out very quickly, but if any of you know Carly, this will be a success! Our first book was Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt  by Beth Hoffman. This was my second time reading this book and I absolutely loved it both times. It is a laid back read, great for the pool or the beach. No heavy thinking allowed!

The story begins with poor Cee Cee in Ohio somewhere being raised by a Manic-Depressive mother and an absentee father. Her mother ends up getting hit by an ice cream truck and dies immediately. Warm and Fuzzy right from the start. The blessing begins when her Aunt Tootie comes and rescues her and brings her to her new life in Savannah, Ga. I mean what could be better than that?

The book is filled with beautiful imagery, eccentric southern characters, and definite Southern Magic that turns Cee Cee's entire life around. It took me back to childhood and you can just feel everything Cee Cee is going through. Her naive questions and statements are just adorable and so child like. You watch her transform into a happy Southern girl who enjoys playing outside, pulling weeds, reading her Nancy Drew books and listening to the older southern ladies gossip.

My favorite quote epitomizes what Cee Cee discovered about the South: "...I realized that Southern Hospitality not only came from the heart but was a practical social art that had been passed down from one generation to the next...Southerners had a way of doing things that made you feel special..." (p263)
Cee Cee went from being an unloved child who had to care for her mentally ill mother, to a young, carefree girl, who returned to her innocence along with a special group of people.


The next book we are reading is The Proper Care and Maintenance Of Friendship by Lisa Verge Higgins. I have never heard of this book so I am super excited to read it! I will be back next month with a review on this one!


This was our first month of book club so link up to Carly's page and join us!!!

In other news my new mission is to get to 100 followers, would you please help me reach that goal? I would be happy to do the same for you!!!

Happy Saturday!

xoxo,
Sara

4 comments:

  1. I am a new followe...I follow College Prepster and thought I had blogged about Cee Cee earlier..but can't find that post. I loved that book as well...and am excited to read the new one. Off to download it now! Have a great day...love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't join in last month due to finals, etc, but can't wait to read this next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great book! I'm going to have to check out the book club, sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for reading my novel and your kind words! I'm delighted that you enjoyed CeeCee's story and appreciate your lovely review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making me smile!!! Your comments always do!!! xoxo, Sara